MINNEAPOLIS, MN - March 30, 2011
DDI 3 based Online Data Extraction System Receives NIH Funding
- Algenta Technologies announced that it has recently received a grant from the National Institutes of Health - National Institute on Aging, under the National Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program.
- The award is a Phase I grant that provides supplemental support of Algenta’s research on a “Open Standards-Based Data Extraction Web Tool for Complex Longitudinal Datasets”.
- The SBIR program is designed to stimulate technological innovation among private-sector businesses while providing the government new, cost-effective, technical and scientific solutions to challenging problems.
- This Phase I feasibility study aims to analyze to data preparation and metadata creation workflow needed to prepare a study for online data extraction, to validate the use of the Data Documentation Initiative’s DDI 3 standard for the basis of such a tool, and to create prototype web-based data extraction software.
- While the focus is on longitudinal surveys, the proposed system would also handle cross-sectional, time-series, and non-repeated studies.
- The aim is to improve research methodologies through a simplification of the process used for discovering, retrieving, and analyzing data relevant to a researcher’s investigation and to improve data citations, aiding in reproducible research.
- The research includes consultation with researchers from ICPSR at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and the Mid-Life in the United States Longitudinal Study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- "We appreciate the continued support of the NIH-NIA, and their recognition of the significance of the research we are conducting," said Dan Smith, a partner at Algenta, and the principal investigator on the project.
About Algenta Technologies
Founded in 1999, Algenta Technologies is a research and development firm specializing in data management, integration services, and Internet technologies for government, academic, and business computing. The company offers a range of highly specific products and services designed to give power to people through easy integration and access to data.
Colectica is a registered trademark of Algenta Technologies and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.